So we walked, shuffled, jogged, huffed and puffed our way through The Lindfield Fun Run this morning.
50% of the kids came along, Rusty Rocket aged almost 6 and Dexbox who is 12.
This is my third short fun run and Dexbox’s second. (I did a post about The Sun Run here, Five Great Things About Fun Runs.)
Dex went off like a rocket and he ran the whole way, in about 35 minutes. Legend!!
I’d expected Rusty Rocket to move fast too. He started with Dexter but peaked too early and at about 2km the whinging began.
Family Fun Runs – What I Learned Today
1. Fun run genuinely are more fun with the family.
2. Other families will lap you, mums pushing twins in prams will overtake you, and old chaps with walking sticks too… it really doesn’t matter!
3. A young child will slow you down. I’m seeing that as a positive!
4. A younger child can also help your fitness efforts enormously by insisting you give them piggy backs for half the race. This will be bloody exhausting BUT think of how good it is for your heart. At least that 27kg extra load hops off at the end of the race.
5. The 5km you walk, hobble, shuffle, jog or run today may not get you to the Olympics, but the alternative was probably flopping about in your pjs wishing you were still in bed… so all good.
Please don’t have the impression we’re a super healthy family who never let an iceblock pass their lips. Not true! I must confess that yesterday there was a staggering amount of junk food and heavily packaged food consumed by the kids.
Even I was quite horrified and I’m the one who bought most of it. Bugger!
Ah well, one day at a time. I need to do a bit of food planning. But that will have to wait as now I have to hop off to collect Minnie the Minx from her sleepover.
I’ll never be a legendary runner and that’s so, so fine by me.
But a little expedition with the family is a good laugh.
Have you got any top tips yourself for other families?